Thursday, September 16, 2010

Heading South...snow is acomin'

After soaking my head for an evening, I turned in early, exhausted from the day. I flopped into bed at 9 PM,and at roughly 4 AM was awoke by the sound of laughing and general fooling around. A bridge constuction crew was stayng at the lodge, and one of the workers and his floosie were partying. I thought "lodge" meant peace and tranquility. The serenity of the pool must have still been on board, because I just let it go, but you would think people would have more consideration for others.
I came down for breakfast, and a quick glance at the menu shocked me awake. The CHEAP breakfast was 10 bucks. What, so these eggs had to be air lifted in here....give me a break. The people were really nice, so I just paid up and left...I guess that is the price of living in the north. A quick look outside showed frost on everything. It froze quite hard overnight, and there was a heavy fog laying around. I started the process of packing (I carry a lot of stuff, more on that later). By the time I was ready to go, the fog started to lift, and another clear and sunny day presented itself.
The ride was cool in the shade of the mountains, but my heated vest kept me toasty. The ride south was equally spectacular as the ride north. I was not hurrying, taking my time and pulling off often to take pics, or just stare at the endless beauty. As the sun rose, it got warm enough to unplug the vest, and peel a few layers. I stopped to marvel at some of the local critters...mooses, caribouses, buffaloses, sheepses. All manner of wildlife is abundant there, and they don't seem to care if you are watching or not. Once a gaggle of caribou were in the middle of the road, and I had to kind of serpentine around a few of them because they were not about to move...the little beep beep of my horn just seemed to amuse them. Can you imagine what they are saying about me.."hey rocky, look at the wiener with the gay horn...let's just stand here and see what he does...should be funny". Anyway, the road was awesome, and I was sorry to leave it behind.
Funny side story...two Yankees on harleys had been shadowing me for a while, that's their bikes sitting in front of Muncho Lodge(they stop a lot),and I asked them what they are doing way up here. One said in a southern drawl "I'm from Alabama, and the last thing I have to do before I'm toes up is drive to Alaska, so here we are". When I asked why, he said "why not". Southern wisdom we should listen to. Also, the first pic is the camp ground caretaker Armond. Great guy, and runs a tight ship. Salt of the earth kind of fella. He is the kind of guy that, when you meet him you say to yourself "I wish I could be more like that". Thanks buddy, see you next year. Oh, and check out the gas prices at Muncho. You can check out my vids on You Tube..my channel is frphilia. NOTE: I have to learn to point the camera AWAY from me...eek.




No comments:

Post a Comment